A growing number of engaged and married couples and other jewelry wearers appreciate the comfort and safety of silicone rings. Rings made out of this material are unlikely to cause allergic reactions and can be cleaned and disinfected to avoid bacterial irritation. Silicone rings are also designed to prevent injuries to the finger, hand or arm in the event that a ring becomes caught or trapped. Learn why silicone rings are one of the safest options for sensitive skin and are ideal for wearing during any physical activity that involves the fingers and hands.
1. Silicone Rings Are Hypoallergenic
People who are allergic to particular metals may prefer to wear a silicone ring. Silicone has become one of the most popular alternative materials for rings because this substance rarely causes allergic reactions. Although silicone allergies are not common, this condition does exist. If itching or signs of a raised rash become apparent within a short period of putting on a silicone ring for the first time, remove the ring and contact a medical professional. For most wearers, silicone is a safe and skin-friendly option that is softer and more breathable than metal.
2. Silicone Rings Can Be Disinfected
Silicone is a durable material that can be cleaned and disinfected in several ways. For a basic cleaning, remove a silicone ring and wash with hand soap before rinsing with water. Be sure to rub any grooves in which bacteria or grime may build up. Other cleaning methods involve soaking a ring in a cup with dish soap and warm water and rinsing, soaking a ring in hydrogen peroxide prior to rinsing or boiling a silicone ring. Any of these options can reduce the presence of bacteria on the inner side of the ring and prevent ring rash. Rings made of metal or other materials may not be as easy to clean thoroughly.
3. Silicone Rings Are Snug and Safe
Unlike metal rings, silicone rings will break if they become caught or snagged. These rings can prevent damage to fingers or hands and are affordable enough to replace. Silicone rings should be sized to provide a comfortable, breathable fit without being too tight. If a silicone ring is too small, it may constrict circulation during daily wear. A ring made out of any material that is worn overnight may become tight due to increased blood circulation. It is advisable to take a silicone ring off while sleeping to avoid constriction, stop bacteria from building up and prevent skin irritation.
Silicone is a flexible material that is not likely to rub on the skin of a finger. While it is a good idea to take breaks from wearing any type of ring while bathing, showering or sleeping, silicone rings can be cleaned or disinfected to prevent bacterial infections. In addition to the low chance of having an allergic reaction to silicone, this material is also one of the most comfortable jewelry options for wearing during physical activities. Ring wearers who have sensitive skin or are concerned about skin safety may prefer silicone to other ring materials.